Search

Wes Kremer Interview

Tuesday, June 11, 2013




Young, humble, extraordinarily gifted on a skateboard and now with-pro-shoe, Wes Kremer falls into the 99th percentile of the most eligible bachelors in the world, but he’s having none of it.
Settling down would require a complete inversion of Kremer’s current life. Gone the manic travel schedule and in it’s place a home in a bedroom community inland from San Diego. Still bombing hills, but with a curfew. No, none of that would work, because what Kremer is doing right now works too well.
There are no other options.

enlarge
Wes Kremer, Nosegrind
Wes Kremer, Nosegrind© Mike Blabac
You’re all sorts of pro now, shoes, boards, all that. I guess the last time we spoke, you were still in high school. Is it a trip, getting here?Yeah, I’d just graduated. It’s definitely a trip, I feel like I don’t deserve it. They just handed me [a pair of] pants, a shoe, a camera bag. They’re just like, “Yeah, what do you want to do,” and I’m just, “This might be cool or this might be cool…”
I kind of forget about it and two months later they’re like, “We’ve got some samples.” I’m like, “What, really?” It’s just amazing. I’m honestly so grateful for that, DC has helped me out so much.
Yeah, of course the shoe, dude, I’m fuckin’ tripping on that, I never thought it would happen. Just being able to travel…See the world. If it wasn’t for DC, I wouldn’t have been able to go to more than half the places I’ve been.
With all the travel and all the skating, you’re productive. You put out a lot of stuff.I try to, I try to, man, if I’m not hurt…I’m always feeling crusty, you know. I try to hang in there.

enlarge
Wes Kremer, Frontside Bluntslide transfer
Wes Kremer, Frontside Bluntslide transfer© Mike Blabac
What’s feeling crusty mean?Mentally you feel like you’re 10, but physically you feel like you’re 50, 70. I don’t know. Crusty.
What are you, 24 now?23.
Is it starting catch up? I feel like it’s been catching up with me the last couple years. I always doubt myself, I feel like maybe I’ve got another couple months in me. It’s just like putting out shit, and it’s like, “That’s the last trick I’ll ever film.”
I always think it’s all downhill, but I guess I’m just bombing it. We’ll see what happens. Just bomb the hill, have fun while it lasts.
Who do you look up to that’s older and still doing it?I guess the first person that comes to mind right now is Ron Allen. He’s got the physical mentality of a teenager, if that makes sense. He’ll skate all day, be super energetic and super hyped on skating. He’s got this kid mentality towards skating. I think he just turned 50. He’s still ripping, super hyped on life, killing it.
He ended up calling me out of the blue the other day, so I was super hyped, just seeing him still do it. I was watching the Masters at the Combi contest. It was amazing seeing Jeff Grosso, [Christian] Hosoi, Chris Miller, just all of them killing it. It’s giving you some hope for the future; dude, if they’re still doing it there’s some possibility that I could be doing the same thing. Like if I’m still getting scratchers in a bowl when I’m like 50, I’ll be set, man.

enlarge
Wes Kremer, Gap to 180 Nosegrind
Wes Kremer, Gap to 180 Nosegrind© Mike Blabac
How do you go about thinking of a wallie frontside 180 fakie 5-0 down a hubba? How do you do that?
(Laughs) Dude, honestly I learned that at a skatepark one day. Just on a bump to box; I learned wallie blunts and then…I don’t know. You just keep your feet light and turn into it, it’s really a lazy way of ollieing. Treat it like a quarterpipe if you can, just keep your feet as light as possible, turn into it and hopefully it works.
I read in an interview where you said, I’ll paraphrase, “There’s more to life than skateboarding, work on your personality.” How does that play out with you, day by day?I’ve been skating for a long time. All that time skating I was too zoned out or whatever, in skate world instead of just having a normal conversation. Say like, talking to my grandpa while he’s still around and just getting some old war stories. I feel like that’s taken for granted.
What’s coming up, I know you’re filming one video…We’re trying to get it out by June 8th. We’re doing a video, Sk8 Mafia along with this Swedish board company called Sweet. It’s pretty much a bunch of homies that we’ve been kicking it with over the last couple of years, going to San Diego, going to Sweden and Europe, just back and forth. It came up like, “Let’s do a video,” because more or less, we all have similar personalities, we all get along together. Those are the G’s. It’s just two crews all trying to have a good time.

enlarge
Wes Kremer, Kickflip Shifty
Wes Kremer, Kickflip Shifty© Mike Blabac
Five years from now, what do you think you’ll be doing, what do you hope to be doing?Just to be in one piece. Still skating, still rolling around, hopefully still in San Diego, hopefully still have a job. Honestly, I’ll still be skating, that’s all I want to be doing.
Settle down, get married?Nah, hopefully not get married.
 Via: RedBull

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Submit to us!

Name: Email: Comments:

What Are People Reading Right Now?!

Tags